Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Blair Waldorf...Sassy but Stylish

For the past few years, Gossip Girl has been more than an obsession for me. It's been a way of life. It all started when I first read the Gossip Girl books by Cecily von Ziegesar. I think I was in 8th grade or something. Anyway, I was completely enthralled in the drama and intrigue of Manhattan's elite teenagers. I have to be honest, as I was reading the books I hated, hated, hated Blair Waldorf. Now that I'm all grown up, I sorta admire this lewd, spiteful character. Probably because there are many times when I wish I could mouth off to everyone but unlike Ms. Waldorf, I would get in trouble.

Back to my story. I believe it was around January of last year when I first heard that they were going to make Gossip Girl into a TV show on the CW. I almost passed out. I was excited to see this amazing series of stories played out on TV, but most of all, I was excited to finally see the characters' faces. In case you didn't know this, the covers of all of the Gossip Girl novels make it a point to keep the characters' faces hidden. I guess it's supposed to stimulate the imagination or something, but I'm a very visual person and I was just glad to finally be able to put faces to all of the names and personalities.


By now it should be pretty obvious that Blair is my favorite character, and Leighton Meester does not disappoint in her portrayal of this diva. I really think the producers of the show did a perfect job of casting Meester to play Blair because her whole look reeks of the preppy, posh, cosmopolitan persona. After just one look at Meester as Blair, you can just tell how snobby and elitist the character is.

Besides her personality, Blair Waldorf is known for her impeccable style. Everything she wears looks like it's straight off the runways of Milan. For this reason, I must say that the clothes define this character.

Here she is during the Thanksgiving episode "Blair Waldorf Must Pie" in a Marc Jacobs mini dress ($482.00), black pantyhose, Marc Jacobs pumps, and a black leather clutch.
$385.00


Here's an example of how contagious the Blair Waldorf signature style is. Notice that Blair's have essentially copied the Waldorf look: prep school uniform, chic jacket, headband, and a cute bag to pull it all together.



...And again, the quintessential Blair look: plaid peacoat, tights, flats, headband, and a trendy bag.


For the Season one finale episode, Blair changes things up a bit and wears color! This could be attributed to the fact that it's finally spring in NYC in Gossip Girl land, or maybe it's because Serena's mother has a floral-themed wedding during this episode. Regardless, Blair is wearing a Diane von Furstenberg jacket ($219.00), Marc Jacobs top ($188.00), Stuart Weitzman shoes ($213.00), and a Gucci handbag ($1,595.00).


Back to classic Blair. This nautical-themed outfit is also from the finale episode, and it features Ms. Waldorf in her favorite colors: red, white, and blue. The dress is Bettie Page ($125.00), the bag is Louis Vuitton ($345.00), the hat is by Eric Javitz($150.00), and the shoes are Yves Saint Laurent. (Photo: JustJared.com)

No comments: