Monday, May 19, 2008

Is Balenciaga the New Black?

Balenciaga this, Balenciaga that...
Until just a couple of years ago, this brand was completely unbeknownst to me. Thankfully, I've seen the light. Balenciaga=beauty. I have to credit Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (my personal fashion icons) for bringing the avant-garde/fashion forward Balenciaga look to my attention. I actually remember reading about one of the Olsens (can't remember which one) gushing about Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière. In fact if I remember correctly, they worship Nicolas Ghesquiere. Understandable.

Here's Mary-Kate Olsen sporting Balenciaga booties.

$799.99

Ghesquiere is known for his ability to create a silhouette and creating a futuristic, yet strikingly modern look. However, Ghesquiere owes a debt of gratitude to celebs for bringing everyone's attention to this stunning brand. Specifically, the motorcycle bag.

Here's fashion and style maven Nicole Richie sporting a yellow Balenciaga Motorcycle bag.

$999


Balenciaga is also known for body-hugging, silhouette-accentuating gowns. For example, Cate Blanchett and Chloe Sevigny wore a couple of masterpieces to the MET Costume Institute Benefit Gala in 2007.



Nicolo Richie also reportedly swore by Balenciaga during her pregnancy stating, "I wore so much Balenciaga during my pregnancy... when my shirts got too short, I wore Joel's with a jacket on top..." She wore this black and white semi-zebra-striped gown to Fashion Rocks 2007 in NYC.



As of January, 2008, Oscar winner Jennifer Connelly is the new face of Balenciaga. I honestly can't say I'm surprised by this choice since Connelly has just the right face and figure to represent this brand. Not to mention, she has worn Balenciaga to perfection on multiple red carpets in the past.

Here she is wearing a dress from Balenciaga's spring collection...



And here is (in my opinion), Connelly in the best showcase of Balenciaga I've ever seen...The OSCARS!




Another huuuge (if not the hugest) celebrity to supportthe Balenciaga brand is easily Nicole Kidman. Not only did she don a Balenciaga original to the Oscars, but also to her wedding! Talk about ENDORSEMENT. P.S. she looked stunning.