Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Theeeyyyre Baaaack...

It's official. Ray-bans are back...with a vengeance. These high-end shades made their debut in The United States Air Force, and then Hollywood got their hands on these trendsetters in 1961. I didn't know this, but Ray-bans originated Aviator sunglasses. I looove aviator sunglasses. They elevate anyone and everyone to a higher level of cool. They never have and never will go out of style.

Here's Tom Cruise in the smash hit Top Gun sporting these shades to perfection.


...And here's the beautiful Angelina Jolie in a modern pair of Oliver Peoples rimless aviators.
$315.00

The Ray-ban Wayfarers on the other hand were extremely popular during the '50s and '60s, but they slumped during the '70s. I'm glad they're back in style now because these shades evoke a sense of mysteriousness and danger. I have to credit Audrey Hepburn for bringing these awesome sunglasses to light in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. This movie makes the Wayfarers look oh so posh and elegant, it's no wonder everyone fell in love with them as a result.

As I've mentioned, Ray-bans are back. I hate to say this, but should Lauren Conrad and Brody Jenner be credited for this phenomenon? Perhaps. I remeber watching MTV's The Hills and thinking wow, Lauren and Brody look awesome in those sunglasses...wait...are those Ray-Bans? I must have a pair...

Anyway, I just remember suddenly noticing everyone and I mean everyone, wearing Ray-Bans after this episode aired. Kudos to LC and Brody for starting a phenomemon.


Here's Mr. Nicole Richie (aka Joel Madden) sporting a pair of old-school Wayfarers.
$139.00

1 comment: